« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Envelope editor design

Support DigiBooster

Moderators: G.Frank, AndreasM

krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Envelope editor design

Post by krashan »

I'm now implementing envelope editor and have a few possibilities to choose from. The editor will be much bigger than DigiBooster 2.x one. It will not be placed in a separate window, but will be page flipped with sample editor, so will have the same size.

I have some choices then:

1. I can stack two separate graphs vertically, one for volume envelope, one for panning envelope.

2. I can draw both envelopes on one graph and:
a. only one will be visible at a time, switched with a button.
b. both visible, only one active, reacting on mouse drag and so on, active one switched with a button.
c. both visible and autoswitching depending on click point.

Personally I prefer 2.b, as it allow for easy synchronization between volume and panning envelope. 2.c is a bit tricky, when a point of volume envelope is at the same place as some point of panning envelope.

Also if you have some other suggestions for envelope editor, please write them.
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by daxb »

I havn`t thought about much but what about if the current sample you will add/edit volume or panning is drawn in the background? E.g. you could set more exact points. Maybe zoom is necessary? Or sample lenght values visible.
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

daxb wrote:I havn`t thought about much but what about if the current sample you will add/edit volume or panning is drawn in the background?
Overlaying envelopes over sample is not a good idea because evnelopes are not timed in sample frames, but in module ticks. Then, how an envelope is applied to a sample depends on module tempo and also on the note pitch. If you change one of them, all the envelope points will be misaligned. Also it is common that an envelope is applied to looped samples, then it is much longer than the sample as seen in the sample editor (as the sample editor has no "loop unrolled" view for obvious reasons).

Some help in this regard will be that horizontal scale for sample will be switchable from frames to real time at given pitch and also to module ticks at given pitch and tempo. Then if you need a precise envelope over a sample played at one pitch, it will be easier to do.