« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon WhatsApp
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Samba and Roadshow

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

tryphon

Samba and Roadshow

Post by tryphon »

Hello,

The first time I tried Roadshow, I used dhcp mode without errors.

The next step for me was the use of Samba 2.2.5, and it needed a fixed IP address.

In this configuration, an error window often popup : "NetLogViewer : software failure #80000005"

However, Roadshow works fine with my browser. Samba works too connecting to another computer. But I am unable to see my Amiga on the network.

You may advise me to install the last version but I do not know how to overwrite the previous installation.

If you have some tips, they are welcome.

Thank you

Configuration:
A2000 rev 6.2
Fusion Forty (32 Mo)
Picasso II
A2065
OS 3.9
RoadShow Demo 1.5
Last edited by tryphon on 10.02.2013 - 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: NetLogViewer : software failure #80000005

Post by olsen »

tryphon wrote:Hello,
In this configuration, an error window often popup : "NetLogViewer : software failure #80000005"
This error is caused by a division by zero, but it may be a bit difficult to track down the cause of the problem.

Could you edit your S:Network-Startup file and disable out a single line?

The the line reads as follows:

Code: Select all

Run >NIL: NetLogViewer CX_POPUP=NO
To disable the line, add a comment character (semicolon) so that it reads as follows:

;Run >NIL: NetLogViewer CX_POPUP=NO
Please restart your Amiga after you have edited the file and saved it back to disk.

When the error occurs again, you should now see a message window pop up and display the error message which NetLogViewer has trouble displaying.

I would be interested to learn which error message that is.
However, Roadshow works fine with my browser. Samba works too connecting to another computer. But I am unable to see my Amiga on the network.
What exactly can be found in your "DEVS:Internet/servers" file? It is possible that the problem may be with the server configuration, and not necessarily with the Samba configuration itself.
tryphon

Post by tryphon »

Thank you.

Meanwhile, I installed the 1.8 demo version. The error message disappeared and I cannot reproduce it.

The issue with Samba is still there. My windows 95 computer cannot see my A2000 unlike with Genesis. I just released a comparison between the DEVS:Internet files and the /Genesis/db files to fit the parameters.
The Roadshow servers file is exactly like the original plus two lines:
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root samba:bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root samba:bin/nmbd nmbd

Thank you for your help.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

tryphon wrote:Thank you.

Meanwhile, I installed the 1.8 demo version. The error message disappeared and I cannot reproduce it.
Aha! I was having these terrible déjà vues... again... of seeing a bug pop up which I remembered fixing. The original NetLogViewer command, as part of the first Roadshow demo version, did not work well when launched with its window hidden (this is how the installation script set it up). The current NetLogViewer version 4.7 should be safe to use.
The issue with Samba is still there. My windows 95 computer cannot see my A2000 unlike with Genesis. I just released a comparison between the DEVS:Internet files and the /Genesis/db files to fit the parameters.
The Roadshow servers file is exactly like the original plus two lines:
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root samba:bin/nmbd nmbd

Thank you for your help.
Hm... the format of the servers file is not the same as the one used by AmiTCP . To repeat, this is how it looks like with AmiTCP (don't use this with Roadshow!):

netbios-ns  dgram  udp wait   root samba:bin/nmbd nmbd
Here is how these lines should look like with Roadshow:

netbios-ssn stream        samba:bin/smbd
netbios-ns  datagram wait samba:bin/nmbd
This omits redundant and unsupported parameters and cuts down to the bare essentials.

I would like to draw your attention to the relevant section of the Roadshow documentation, but I hesitate to do so, since it's both too long and too short at the same time, and it lacks a few clarifying words which I have only just added to the manuscript...

The next Roadshow update will have the Samba configuration in the servers file, in an example section (commented, and deactivated). The server documentation in the refererence manual (section 7.1.2.8, etc.) will also go a bit more into detail concerning how one may convert the AmiTCP style configuration into something Roadshow might find more favourable.
tryphon

Post by tryphon »

I renamed the topic for a better match.

Well, I am able to follow some tutorials but I do not understand the precise meaning of each parameters inside the servers file.

Anyway, your help solve this and now I can get my A2000+A2065 over the network and I can access my data with a computer from Windows 95 to XP.

The next step is the use of Roadshow on my A2000+Deneb+ASIX adaptator. If it works I will be able to replace Genesis by the complete Roadshow version. But this is another topic.

Thank you.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

tryphon wrote:I renamed the topic for a better match.

Well, I am able to follow some tutorials but I do not understand the precise meaning of each parameters inside the servers file.
Yes, but I think I can at least explain this part. The harder part is in knowing which parameters to use when adding a configuration entry for a server program.

The DEVS:Internet/servers file contains instructions for a part of Roadshow which watches for inbound requests to connect to your computer, or just to exchange small data portions with it.

Each such request will ask for a specific service to be performed. If there is a matching service entry in the servers file, Roadshow will proceed to start the program configured for this entry. But it will only start this program if the method for exchanging data with your computer matches, too. That method can be either "stream" or "datagram". Which method is appropriate for the server program depends upon the program, and you need to know in advance which method must be used.

Once Roadshow has started a program in response to a request, it can either start this program again whenever another such request comes in, or it can ignore further requests until the program that had been started has finished its job.

In these two paragraphs above I hope to have explained what is necessary for the DEVS:Internet/servers file configuration to do its job. For each line in this file there are three essential items you need to provide: a service name, a data exchange method, whether or not a program is started for each inbound request, and the name of that program.

Here is how that looks for the "smbd" server, which is part of Samba:

netbios-ssn stream samba:bin/smbd
In this example, "netbios-ssn" is the service name mentioned above. "stream" is the data exchange method and "samba:bin/smbd" is the program name.

And here is how that looks for the "nmbd" server, also part of Samba:

netbios-ns datagram wait samba:bin/nmbd
Here "netbios-ns" is the service name. "datagram" is the data exchange method. "wait" tells Roadshow to start this program once and to ignore any inbound requests to the same service until the program has finished running. And "samba:bin/nmbd" is the name of the program.

These are the basics. There are a few more parameters which you might find useful, but they are not often needed. They are described in some detail in the Roadshow reference documentation.

As I wrote, the harder part is in knowing why "smbd" and "nmbd" must be configured in this way. This requires special knowledge which for a complex software package such as Samba is a bit much to ask for.
tryphon

Post by tryphon »

Thank you so much. I have a better look on what I configure for my network. First time I read a clear explanation about it.

I just regret that the last Samba version 2.2.5 is too old for Windows 7 (this not the problem of RoadShow).

Upto now, SMBFS seems to be rock under Roadshow. I really appreciate.