« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow support for PPTP?

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

midwan
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Roadshow support for PPTP?

Post by midwan »

Hi there,

I've bought Roadshow to replace the aging MiamiDX installation I had, and I'm really happy with it. It's been working quite fast and reliably for the last few years.

One new need (or wish) came up recently, during a project we're trying to setup with a friend. One of the solutions we're hoping for, would require a connection to a VPN from the Amiga side.

Assuming that the Amiga has an ethernet card and is connected to the Internet normally, is there any support for PPTP in Roadshow? From what I know there is such support in MiamiDX, though a bit limited in the encryption options it offered of course.

The idea is to run a PPTP or OpenVPN on the server to allow authenticated users to connect to a Samba share.

Unfortunately the simpler solution of using FTPMount failed due to bugs in that piece of software (it wouldn't refresh directories when an application would request files from them).
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow support for PPTP?

Post by olsen »

midwan wrote:Hi there,

I've bought Roadshow to replace the aging MiamiDX installation I had, and I'm really happy with it. It's been working quite fast and reliably for the last few years.

One new need (or wish) came up recently, during a project we're trying to setup with a friend. One of the solutions we're hoping for, would require a connection to a VPN from the Amiga side.

Assuming that the Amiga has an ethernet card and is connected to the Internet normally, is there any support for PPTP in Roadshow? From what I know there is such support in MiamiDX, though a bit limited in the encryption options it offered of course.

The idea is to run a PPTP or OpenVPN on the server to allow authenticated users to connect to a Samba share.

Unfortunately the simpler solution of using FTPMount failed due to bugs in that piece of software (it wouldn't refresh directories when an application would request files from them).
No, Roadshow does not support PPTP (or for that matter, L2TP or OpenVPN). I had looked into making PPTP available, since I already had a working PPP driver (used in "ppp-serial.device" and "ppp-ethernet.device"), but it turned out to be just too complex to make it work. L2TP was even more complex, and it requires IPSec support, which Roadshow does not have...

As far as I know there is no OpenVPN port for the Amiga. It would require (at the least) support for the TUN and TAP network interfaces which would have to be implemented at the TCP/IP stack level. This could be done :) But somebody would still have to port OpenVPN to the Amiga and make it work.

As far as PPTP is concerned, I would not recommend that you use it today, never mind that there is no Amiga support for it. PPTP is by all accounts obsolete today, and the built-in default encryption and authentication functionality is considered unsafe.

PPTP would likely not help you authenticate against a Samba server. If you intend to exchange files over an Internet link, then I'm afraid that your only option is ftp, and as you found out, it is not exactly a robust solution. The authentication is even more unsafe than for PPTP.

The next best thing would be to tunnel the entire data exchange through OpenVPN and there exist firewall solutions (e.g. OPNsense) which allow you to use OpenVPN transparently without having to install an OpenVPN client on your machine. Mind you, this is not a plug & play solution either...
midwan
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by midwan »

Thanks for the update, at least I know I should look into some other kind of solution. :)

It would have been nice to have some viable alternative for 68k that works reliably, since FTPMount has bugs. Maybe a WebDav handler like the one that exists for OS4?

Ah well, wishful thinking I guess.