« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

DigiBoosterPro 3: Public betatesting

Support DigiBooster

Moderators: G.Frank, AndreasM

AndreasM
Amiga Future Chefredaktion
Amiga Future Chefredaktion

Post by AndreasM »

1) german
2) english

DigiBoosterPro 3: Öffentlicher Betatest

Nach längerer Zeit der Testphasen für einen eingeschränkten Benutzerkreis, erreicht der bekannte Musiktracker DigiBooster 3 nun endlich das Stadium öffentlicher Betatests.

Das Hauptziel ist es hierbei, die Stabilität und Performance des Programmkerns auf unterschiedlichen Hardware- und Software-Konfigurationen zu prüfen, und natürlich um Feedback von den Usern zu erhalten.

Demoversionen von DigiBooster 3 sind für AmigaOS 4 und MorphOS verfügbar, und zwar über die offizielle DigiBooster Website.

Bitte beachten, dass dies kein offizieller Release Candidate kurz vor der Veröffentlichung ist, sondern noch viele Features auf ihre Implementierung warten!

Es wird empfohlen, das enthaltene "Readme" nach der Installation zu lesen!

Die wesentlichen Features des neuen DigiBooster 3 sind:

- voll skalierbare MUI-Oberfläche mit Unterstützung von Themes
- komplett neue und portable Player-Engine, unabhängig von AHI
- Rückwärtskompatibilität zu DigiBoosterPro 2.x (u.a. das gleiche Modulformat)
- PowerPC native Versionen für AmigaOS 4 und MorphOS

http://www.digiboosterpro.de

After a long period of closed testing the DigiBooster 3 music tracker enters the public beta stage. The main goal of public betatesting is to check program core stability and performance on different operating systems and hardware configurations. Demo versions of DigiBooster 3 for AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS are available for download on the official DigiBooster website. Please note that this is not a release candidate. Many important features still wait to be implemented. It is highly recommended to read a "readme" file after installation.

The key features of the new DigiBooster 3 are:

- Fully scalable MUI graphic interface with themes.
- New player engine, portable and AHI independent.
- Backwards compatible with DigiBoosterPro 2.x (the same module format).
- PowerPC native versions for AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS.

http://www.digiboosterpro.de
Andreas Magerl
APC&TCP - Home of Amiga Future
Publisher for Amiga Software, Merchandising and many more.
http://www.apc-tcp.de - https://www.amigafuture.de - https://www.amigashop.org
Sensei
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by Sensei »

I am a little disappointed, so far, that there is no OS3.x 68k version of this software. There are plenty of A1200 and A3000/A4000 users with towered systems with Mediators in them capable of using a soundcard with 16 bit audio recording. The Classic Amigas still use MUI, and AHI is available on 68k Classic Amiga systems, so will there be a 68k version?

I had expected there to be one, otherwise I will have little interest in any future development of the program, as Amiga OS4.x seems to be heading nowhere for the Classic hardware as there is, and will have, no soundcard AHI available as Hyperion have denied this option through the Mediator as they will not support/allow the DMA method/hack, under OS4.x, that works so well under OS3.x. :-?

I could use the Paula as an 8 bit option but that really would be a backward step. :nein:

It seems there is little to thank the Frieden boys for, with regard to the Classic Amiga OS4.1 upcoming update. Yet another shot in our feet by Hyperion, as far as I am concerned. :((
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by daxb »

A 68k Version is planed after a stable OS4/MOS version but I wouldn`t expect much from a 68k version.
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

Sensei wrote:I am a little disappointed, so far, that there is no OS3.x 68k version of this software. There are plenty of A1200 and A3000/A4000 users with towered systems with Mediators in them capable of using a soundcard with 16 bit audio recording. The Classic Amigas still use MUI, and AHI is available on 68k Classic Amiga systems, so will there be a 68k version?
There is a 68k version of course. Just my 68k development environment has to be a bit improved (I have a new pc computer and need to install WinUAE and AmiDevCpp). The last version compiled for 68k was beta 14 AFAIR, so I do not expect it will take much time to have running beta 18.

Said that I have to add that DB3 has its requirements. Firstly it uses MUI, which is slower than GadTools/Intuition. Secondly the DB3 replayer is slower than 2.x, because it is written in C and has some features added. As a result, current DB3 beta will be hardly usable on 68040 and even 68060 makes it only usable, but not comfortable. In spite of this I want to get 68k version in line with PowerPC versions, and future betas will be released at the same time.

As for AHI issue - DigiBooster 3 replayer is 100% AHI independent. It means AHI is not used for resampling/mixing/effects. It is of course used for sending the downmix to audio hardware. In theory I can bypass AHI and send audio to some hardware directly. It can be a case for Paula for example. Removing AHI from the game will give substantial CPU power savings. Adding support for other audio hardware is theoretically possible. All DigiBooster 3 needs, is a way to send a stereo 16-bit stream in small portions in real time.
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

AmigaOS 3 version.

Post by krashan »

Good news for those waiting for AmigaOS 3 version - I've just compiled a M68k binary and tested it (for now) under MorphOS, where it works perfectly. I will do some more serious tests under WinUAE tomorrow.
Sensei
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by Sensei »

Great news for 68k users. 8-)

What emulation settings did you use, on both MorphOS, and WinUAE?

Will it be tested on an actual Classic AMIGA to see how it runs on the original hardware. For instance on an actual 68k based Amiga with an '020, an '030, an '040, an '060, and maybe even a WarpUp or PowerUp version using the PPC on OS3.x, now that would be NICE :o

I'd just like to know what performance / speed you'd get out of the older original hardware. If you know that some of the older/slower 68k CPUs are just not going to be able to keep up with the software then that would be interesting to know also.

I just tested it (briefly) on my 060 system, and it runs OK. I'll hopefully do a little more checking when I get chance a little later, but so far, SO GOOD. :hupf-gelb:

Thanks for your efforts so far.
Last edited by Sensei on 21.02.2011 - 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
krashan
Amiga Future Fan
Amiga Future Fan

Post by krashan »

Sensei wrote:What emulation settings did you use, on both MorphOS, and WinUAE?
I've not tested it in UAE on MorphOS. For WinUAE I use 68030 emulation, AGA, 2 MB chip, 16 MB Zorro 3 fast memory, graphics card emulation and WinUAE AHI driver. Of course amount of fast memory may be increased to fit samples. On plain 3.1 system with AGA graphics theme, DigiBooster 3 uses 1.3 MB of memory including memory for MUI and AHI.
Sensei wrote:Will it be tested on an actual Classic AMIGA to see how it runs on the original hardware. For instance on an actual 68k based Amiga with an '020, an '030, an '040, an '060
I was able to test it on two real classic Amigas (both being A1200):

Configuration A: 68040 @ 40 MHz, AGA PALHighResLaced, Paula audio. On this configuration DB3 is unusable. It can't even play 4-track module smoothly.

Configuration B: 68060 @ 66 MHz (overclocked), Mediator PCI, SoundBlaster 128, graphic card (unknown). On this configuration one can work smoothly with 24 tracks. 32 tracks start to give some minor sound glitches. Using Paula AHI modes instead of SB128, reduces number of usable tracks to 20. Trying with AGA screen drops number of usable tracks to 8.