« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon WhatsApp
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow crashes.

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

Thorham

Roadshow crashes.

Post by Thorham »

Hi,

When I run Roadshow from Workbench using the network-startup script (from a CLI window or project icon), then sometimes it works properly and sometimes it simply crashes. When I let the program start as normal through user-startup it always seems to work fine. Apparently c:addnetinterface somehow doesn't like being started from Workbench.

Note that this also happens when I boot without a startup sequence from the boot menu and a minimal Workbench (assign ENV: RAM:, Loadwb).

Is this a bug, or is the program only supposed to be started during the startup sequence?

Machine: A1200, Blizzard 1230 MK4, 64MB, Easynet PCMCIA netweork card, Kickstart 3.0.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow crashes.

Post by olsen »

Thorham wrote:Hi,

When I run Roadshow from Workbench using the network-startup script (from a CLI window or project icon), then sometimes it works properly and sometimes it simply crashes. When I let the program start as normal through user-startup it always seems to work fine. Apparently c:addnetinterface somehow doesn't like being started from Workbench.

Note that this also happens when I boot without a startup sequence from the boot menu and a minimal Workbench (assign ENV: RAM:, Loadwb).

Is this a bug, or is the program only supposed to be started during the startup sequence?
No, this is not supposed to happen. It should be possible to start the network by double-clicking on the respective network interface configuration file rather than have it set up from S:Network-Startup.

Do you actually start the original Network-Startup script, as provided with Roadshow? I can't say I have ever done that myself, but right now I couldn't think of a reason why this should not work. Except perhaps if you do not provide enough stack space to the script.
Thorham

Post by Thorham »

olsen wrote:It should be possible to start the network by double-clicking on the respective network interface configuration file rather than have it set up from S:Network-Startup.
Yeah, tried that, and it works inconsistently.
olsen wrote:Do you actually start the original Network-Startup script, as provided with Roadshow?
Yes, but that doesn't work reliably either (it does when executed before Workbench is loaded via user-startup).
olsen wrote:Except perhaps if you do not provide enough stack space to the script.
I can certainly try that.

Thomas
Amiga Future Redaktion
Amiga Future Redaktion

Post by Thomas »

Maybe something loaded by Workbench occupies the PCMCIA port? Some CF card driver perhaps? In this case it's probably not Roadshow which crashes but the PCMCIA network driver.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

Thorham wrote:
olsen wrote:It should be possible to start the network by double-clicking on the respective network interface configuration file rather than have it set up from S:Network-Startup.
Yeah, tried that, and it works inconsistently.
olsen wrote:Do you actually start the original Network-Startup script, as provided with Roadshow?
Yes, but that doesn't work reliably either (it does when executed before Workbench is loaded via user-startup).
olsen wrote:Except perhaps if you do not provide enough stack space to the script.
I can certainly try that.

If the network startup succeeds before Workbench is opened, it's possible that something else is interfering with the operations of the network driver, or maybe even Roadshow itself.

Here's something fun to try which might shed some light on what is going on: use the shell to rename the "bsdsocket.library" in LIBS: to something else (e.g. "bsdsocket.library.disabled"), then restart your system.

Now reverse the change you made, renaming "bsdsocket.library.disabled" to "bsdsocket.library", and start the network as you would have done before. Does it still crash?

By renaming the library you prevent all other applications from opening "bsdsocket.library" before you actually start the network manually. If the crashes no longer happen with this weird workaround, I'd like to hear about it.
Thorham

Post by Thorham »

Wow, it's been three months already?

To olsen:

I'm going to try that, but I don't think anything is accessing the bsdsocket library at all.

Thomas wrote:Maybe something loaded by Workbench occupies the PCMCIA port? Some CF card driver perhaps? In this case it's probably not Roadshow which crashes but the PCMCIA network driver.
If that's the case then that's NOT good. I don't use anything other than a network pcmcia card. Also, the crash happens with the most minimal Workbench possible (assign ENV: RAM:, loadwb with an empty wbstart directory).
Thorham

Post by Thorham »

Well, no luck :( I tried changing some settings, namely using DHCP without any specified address, and it works properly more often, but it still crashes too often :(

I'm going to try some more things, because I REALLY want this stack to work properly on my system (the SPEEEEED!).