« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:Got wireless now too. The dhcp was not reliable. Only with a wired connection. The wireless connected only a few times so I went back to static. Now it connects every time. It helps that I do not have to reboot every time now that I bought it. I made a minor change, used netshutdown and tried again.
I really, really would like to know what your DHCP server is doing to poor Roadshow, which is just trying to do its job, anyway...

Which make and model router are you using again?
The working combo happened by me logging into my router from my mac and checked all settings. I found 192.168.1.10 was a free wireless address and used that. Also added 127.1 as my amiga address. This was done in "hosts" which was not done before. Kept prism2 in storage and used name servers and routes as before. Hope this helps with your manual.

All is good now. Thanks and keep us informed of updates.
:glow:
Slotting in an unused IPv4 address certainly avoids the DHCP problems. Still, the DHCP negotiation is supposed to work, and if it doesn't, there better be some kind of reason for it :-(

Why did you set 127.1 as the Amiga's host name? Which problem did it solve for you?
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

It was asking for that. Once I set it it connected.
It does not stay connected however. I think wirelessmanager
may have issues. I'm trying another wireless pcmcia card to see if that helps.
cevoner2000
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Re: Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Post by cevoner2000 »

Hi,
Back in 2014 you helped me get online with Roadshow. Well, now I have changed to OS 3.2.1 and I had to reinstall it and I cannot get online again. My IPs have changed and I have 2 Amigas: one with Mediator with a DFE 530TX card and one with a 3c589 PCMCIA card which worked well with OS3.9. Both display same message.

When I use addnetinterfaces I get "Could not add interface "name" (input/output error)" message no matter what I change in routes, networks, or name_resolution. I moved the 3c589 and MediatorFAST between storage and devs with no change. I had to reinstall Roadshow and updated to 1.14.
My IPs on network are attached when I enter arp -a on my PC. 10.0.0.1 is my router.

Can you help me again? I don't know what is going on here. Both cards are blinking and seem to be live.
It was a simple solution last time. Thanks for your time.

Charles Voner USA
Attachments
IPs on network
IPs on network
IPs.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
cevoner2000
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by cevoner2000 »

Hi, I have the 3c589 working although the Mediator still won't see the card. It may be incompatible as I will try another. I got the 3c589 working by adding in pccard.library. Maybe something like that is missing with the Mediator. I think I have settings right.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

cevoner2000 wrote: 30.05.2022 - 16:23 Hi,
Back in 2014 you helped me get online with Roadshow. Well, now I have changed to OS 3.2.1 and I had to reinstall it and I cannot get online again. My IPs have changed and I have 2 Amigas: one with Mediator with a DFE 530TX card and one with a 3c589 PCMCIA card which worked well with OS3.9. Both display same message.

When I use addnetinterfaces I get "Could not add interface "name" (input/output error)" message no matter what I change in routes, networks, or name_resolution. I moved the 3c589 and MediatorFAST between storage and devs with no change. I had to reinstall Roadshow and updated to 1.14.
My IPs on network are attached when I enter arp -a on my PC. 10.0.0.1 is my router.

Can you help me again? I don't know what is going on here. Both cards are blinking and seem to be live.
It was a simple solution last time. Thanks for your time.

Charles Voner USA
Which type of Amiga are you using, exactly? Did you upgrade your Amiga OS ROM to the 3.2.1 version or are you perhaps still using an Amiga OS 3.2 ROM?

I am asking because Amiga OS 3.2 attempted to rework how the PCMCIA card configuration deals with other expansions sharing the same memory space. Prior to these changes, overlaps could be produced with baffling consequences, rendering the system unstable for no apparent reason. With these changes present, some devices are no longer configured at system startup time because of overlapping memory space ranges. The Amiga OS 3.2.1 ROM reverted to the original Kickstart 3.1 PCMCIA code because the side-effects of fixing the issues were disheartening :( Basically, the problem is a hardware issue which the original Commodore engineers who designed the PCMCIA interface never got around to address. PCMCIA being new in 1992 (when the Amiga 600 was the first machine to feature it) they likely never had access to enough varied samples to test with.

So, on the one hand you have fixes in Amiga OS 3.2 which attempt to render the system more stable, on the other hand you have the side-effect of some devices no longer working out of the box which previously appeared to work fine (but only by lucky accident).

This is as far as I can claim to understand what might be going on here. I am not a hardware guy. From what I recall, it may make a difference if your system starts with the PCMCIA card already plugged in as compared to plugging it in after you have started the system.