« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

RoadShow 1.14 Demo to Purchased - still demo?

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

hackerdude
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

RoadShow 1.14 Demo to Purchased - still demo?

Post by hackerdude »

Hello,

I installed the Roadshow Demo 1.14. I liked it better than Miami and I decided to go ahead and purchase it for my ZZ9000 card.

Upon purchasing on Amigashop, I got an “Update” LHA. I extracted it and ran it.

It went through all the files, and then told me there was nothing to upgrade.

But when I run GetNetStatus, I still get bad socket.library Roadshow 1.14 DEMO version (Roadshow 4.347 29-11-2019 DEMO).

Is there a license file I may have failed to copy? Is there some registration I can make? I am at a loss and I’d like to get my stack to last for longer than 15 minutes after paying the license.

I will also send this by email to the shop, though if they are just a reseller it’s unclear if they’re going to be able to help.

Thank you!
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: RoadShow 1.14 Demo to Purchased - still demo?

Post by olsen »

hackerdude wrote: 27.10.2021 - 07:06 Hello,

I installed the Roadshow Demo 1.14. I liked it better than Miami and I decided to go ahead and purchase it for my ZZ9000 card.

Upon purchasing on Amigashop, I got an “Update” LHA. I extracted it and ran it.

It went through all the files, and then told me there was nothing to upgrade.

But when I run GetNetStatus, I still get bad socket.library Roadshow 1.14 DEMO version (Roadshow 4.347 29-11-2019 DEMO).

Is there a license file I may have failed to copy? Is there some registration I can make? I am at a loss and I’d like to get my stack to last for longer than 15 minutes after paying the license.

I will also send this by email to the shop, though if they are just a reseller it’s unclear if they’re going to be able to help.

Thank you!
This is very strange.

Purchasing Roadshow should have provided you with version Roadshow 1.14. This would ship either on CD-ROM or you would download it as an LhA archive if you chose so.

The Roadshow 1.14 installation archive contains an installation script which automatically identifies a Roadshow demo version and will upgrade it to the commercial release. That should be all you need :-)

I no case should you have received an update archive for an out-of-date Roadshow version. Version 1.13 is almost four years old. Roadshow 1.14 was released almost a year ago, and this is still the current version.
PhilC1
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by PhilC1 »

Hi
I've got the same issue. Bought Roadshow 1.14 digital download and installed to update the free version that comes with Coffin R60. I'm still getting the thanks for using the demo version message and it stops working so the upgrade has no worked.

How do I fix this?

Thanks
Phil
Szulcbrew
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by Szulcbrew »

I have the same issue.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

Szulcbrew wrote: 01.07.2022 - 18:13 I have the same issue.
Hm... this sounds ominous. I do not know how the demo version of Roadshow, which you are using, is configured for the Vampire system.

The Installer script which Roadshow uses makes assumptions about how the contents of the boot volume look like. The parts of Roadshow which come with the commercial version are the bsdsocket.library, the ppp-serial.device and ppp-ethernet.device. These files are supposed to be found in the "LIBS:" drawer (bsdsocket.library) and the "Devs:Networks" drawer (ppp-serial.device and ppp-ethernet.device), respectively. The installation script will look for them and, if found, will determine if these are part of the Roadshow demo version. This is accomplished by computing checksums for the contents of these files and comparing them against a list of known demo version file checksums.

I tested this upgrade procedure on an Amiga which had all older Roadshow demo setups installed and verified that this approach indeed found and replaced the demo version files. This, however, appears to be insufficient for the Vampire :(

Until we get to the bottom of this, there is a workaround you can use to replace the demo version files on your system with the commercial version's bsdsocket.library, ppp-serial.device and ppp-ethernet.device files.

When you unpack the archive file you received, it should produce a drawer called "Roadshow". Inside that drawer you will find the following files (note: they are not visible by default, so you may need to use the shell to access them or switch the Workbench drawer display options to show files which lack icons), which are relevant for upgrading to the commercial version:
Roadshow/Workbench/Libs/020/bsdsocket.library
Roadshow/Workbench/Libs/bsdsocket.library
Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/020/ppp-serial.device
Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/020/ppp-ethernet.device
Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/ppp-serial.device
Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/ppp-ethernet.device
Before you begin, check if you can find the file LIBS:bsdsocket.library installed on your system. That file should exist and it should not be write-protected or delete-protected. If you need the PPP network drivers, please check if ppp-serial.device and/or ppp-ethernet.device are present in the DEVS:Networks drawer; if they are, they should not be write-protected or delete-protected.

Copy the Roadshow/Workbench/Libs/020/bsdsocket.library file to LIBS: to upgrade it to the commercial version on the Vampire. The Roadshow/Workbench/Libs/bsdsocket.library file should work too, but I recommend you pick the optimized version instead.

If you need them, copy the PPP drivers Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/020/ppp-serial.device and Roadshow/Workbench/Devs/Networks/020/ppp-ethernet.device to DEVS:Networks (you likely may not need these drivers on the Vampire).

Once these files have been copied, please restart your system. Now repeat the checks described above: did you succeed in replacing the older LIBS:bsdsocket.library, DEVS:Networks/ppp-serial.device and DEVS:Networks/ppp-ethernet.device files? You can check if the files are the right version using the shell. For example, entering the command Version file full LIBS:bsdsocket.library should show the following for the commercial version:
bsdsocket.library 4.347 (29.11.2019)
Roadshow 1.14
The 68020+ optimized version would be reported as follows:
Roadshow 1.14 68020+ version
But if you still have the demo version installed, it would show up as follows:
Roadshow 1.14 DEMO version