« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow help

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Roadshow help

Post by scarrabri »

Hi i have a Amiga 1200 and i am trying to install Roadshow
with out much luck,i am not the best at using the shell but can manage to install most of what is asked of the roadshow ,the bit i get stuck on is

1 DEV Internet Routes where it says the template ?
i am not sure what it is asking me for

Routes file Add default 192---------- iam not sure if i have to deleat some thing or just add this on at the bottom
of the Edit page

I am using a Easynet pcmia ethernet card and a moden/gateway router with a static ip address ,
i would be very grateful for any help please
best wishes Brian.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow help

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Hi i have a Amiga 1200 and i am trying to install Roadshow
with out much luck,i am not the best at using the shell but can manage to install most of what is asked of the roadshow ,the bit i get stuck on is

1 DEV Internet Routes where it says the template ?
i am not sure what it is asking me for

Routes file Add default 192---------- iam not sure if i have to deleat some thing or just add this on at the bottom
of the Edit page

I am using a Easynet pcmia ethernet card and a moden/gateway router with a static ip address ,
i would be very grateful for any help please
best wishes Brian.
I need a bit more information on your local network setup and the gateway router's features before I may assist you.

Setting up Roadshow to use a router with a static local IP address is a more involved process than allowing the network access to be automatically configured, which is why automatic configuration should be the first choice. I take it you cannot use automatic configuration, which is why you need to add the static IP address to the route configuration file. Is that correct?

Did you already set up the network interface configuration file for the EasyNet card? Which IP address and network mask did you assign?

Do you know which IP address your gateway router uses, and which DNS server addresses should be used (typically, gateway routers handle both the routing, and forward DNS lookups, all using the same local IP address)?

The Roadshow manual covers the basics of setting up your configuration files in section 4.1.2 ("Configuring IP addresses, routing and name resolution"), which looks like it might be applicable here: static IP address, etc.
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

Hi thank you for your reply ,but to make things simpler i have changed to a Dynamic ip Address ,and i would be grateful if we could proceed from there ,please,very best wishes Brian.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Hi thank you for your reply ,but to make things simpler i have changed to a Dynamic ip Address ,and i would be grateful if we could proceed from there ,please,very best wishes Brian.
OK, that change should simplify things (I hope!).

So, is your setup operational now, or did you encounter new problems in need of discussion and resolution yet?
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

Hi no i have not installed any thing yet i want to know where to go and what to edit ,or add or alter ,lol
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Hi no i have not installed any thing yet i want to know where to go and what to edit ,or add or alter ,lol
Careful, are we? :-)

Well, it starts with unpacking the Roadshow archive, which I assume you've already done. The next thing is to run the installation script by double-clicking on the "Install_Roadshow" icon.

If you have used this type of installation script before, you might want to run it in "pretend to install" mode to get an idea of what happens during the real installation. In "pretend to install" mode the installation procedure goes through all the steps of a real installation, and it writes a log file which details what would happen.

Of course, you still need to run the installation script for real. Assuming that you do, and assuming further that it actually succeeds, you need to take one more step to make your system operational: you need to choose which network interface should be used.

You wrote that you are using an EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card. I believe that Roadshow ships with a configuration file which supports this card. Here is how you would set it up after you have installed Roadshow:

- Open the "Storage" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Storage" drawer, open the "NetInterfaces" drawer.
- In the "NetInterfaces" drawer, find the file "3c589"
- When you have found the file, do not close the drawer. We are going to open another drawer which the file "3c589" should be moved to
- Open the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume
- Inside the "Devs" drawer, find the drawer "NetInterfaces"
- In order to set up the "3c589" network interface, drag the file from "Storage/NetInterfaces" into "Devs/NetInterfaces"

After you have dragged the "3c589" file into the "NetInterfaces" drawer, inside the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume, you should be ready to go. Note that you have to have the network driver software installed which the "3c589" file references. That software should have shipped with the EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card and you may still have to install it. Note that Roadshow does not ship with this driver. Roadshow only ships with an instruction file that tells Roadshow how to use the driver (the "3c589" file mentioned above).

The network interface configuration file "3c589" is responsible for making your Ethernet card useful for Roadshow. If the Ethernet cable is correctly plugged in, and your router is configured to allow for Roadshow to request a dynamically assigned address, you should be able to restart your Amiga now and Roadshow will use your Ethernet card.

This is basically how it ought to work out.

Does this sound helpful to you? Please ask if you need to know more.
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

olsen wrote:
scarrabri wrote:Hi no i have not installed any thing yet i want to know where to go and what to edit ,or add or alter ,lol
Careful, are we? :-)

Well, it starts with unpacking the Roadshow archive, which I assume you've already done. The next thing is to run the installation script by double-clicking on the "Install_Roadshow" icon.

If you have used this type of installation script before, you might want to run it in "pretend to install" mode to get an idea of what happens during the real installation. In "pretend to install" mode the installation procedure goes through all the steps of a real installation, and it writes a log file which details what would happen.

Of course, you still need to run the installation script for real. Assuming that you do, and assuming further that it actually succeeds, you need to take one more step to make your system operational: you need to choose which network interface should be used.

You wrote that you are using an EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card. I believe that Roadshow ships with a configuration file which supports this card. Here is how you would set it up after you have installed Roadshow:

- When you have found the file, do not close the drawer. We are going to open another drawer which the file "3c589" should be moved to
- In order to set up the "3c589" network interface, drag the file from "Storage/NetInterfaces" into "Devs/NetInterfaces"

After you have dragged the "3c589" file into the "NetInterfaces" drawer, inside the "Devs" drawer of your Workbench volume, you should be ready to go. Note that you have to have the network driver software installed which the "3c589" file references. That software should have shipped with the EasyNet PCMCIA Ethernet card and you may still have to install it. Note that Roadshow does not ship with this driver. Roadshow only ships with an instruction file that tells Roadshow how to use the driver (the "3c589" file mentioned above).

The network interface configuration file "3c589" is responsible for making your Ethernet card useful for Roadshow. If the Ethernet cable is correctly plugged in, and your router is configured to allow for Roadshow to request a dynamically assigned address, you should be able to restart your Amiga now and Roadshow will use your Ethernet card.

This is basically how it ought to work out.

Does this sound helpful to you? Please ask if you need to know more.

Well after all the moaning i did because of my lack of ability lol which was not your fault it took two mins to install Roadshow and away we went and you bet your life i am well pleased,its working really well ,i really need to copy some of this information into the Amiga org forum if you dont mind because there will be many who must have had the same problem as myself and may have given up because of there inabilty to understand,my very best wishes to you and thanks i send to you my friend Brian
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

scarrabri wrote:Well after all the moaning i did because of my lack of ability lol which was not your fault it took two mins to install Roadshow and away we went and you bet your life i am well pleased,its working really well ,i really need to copy some of this information into the Amiga org forum if you dont mind because there will be many who must have had the same problem as myself and may have given up because of there inabilty to understand,my very best wishes to you and thanks i send to you my friend Brian
Go ahead, copy it, I don't mind :-)

If I may ask, what was most discouraging for you in setting up Roadshow and giving it a spin? I tried my best to get the manual up to decent standards, and there should have been a useful answer or two in it.

But there's no guarantee whatsoever that whatever I tried to achieve actually did work out well. Feedback would be appreciated.

I suppose it might help to add another network interface file for the EasyNet Ethernet card. It's not exactly self-explanatory that it corresponds to the "3c589" file.
scarrabri
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by scarrabri »

olsen wrote:
scarrabri wrote:Well after all the moaning i did because of my lack of ability lol which was not your fault it took two mins to install Roadshow and away we went and you bet your life i am well pleased,its working really well ,i really need to copy some of this information into the Amiga org forum if you dont mind because there will be many who must have had the same problem as myself and may have given up because of there inabilty to understand,my very best wishes to you and thanks i send to you my friend Brian
Go ahead, copy it, I don't mind :-)

If I may ask, what was most discouraging for you in setting up Roadshow and giving it a spin? I tried my best to get the manual up to decent standards, and there should have been a useful answer or two in it.

But there's no guarantee whatsoever that whatever I tried to achieve actually did work out well. Feedback would be appreciated.

I suppose it might help to add another network interface file for the EasyNet Ethernet card. It's not exactly self-explanatory that it corresponds to the "3c589" file.
Hi there is not much wrong with your manuals its just that they would only be useful to someone well above my level of understanding as it states the Roadshow is not really for the the compleat novice ,but this is not true
you gave me this information i qoute

Now this opens the Roadshow up to all including the village idiot like me ,makes it possable for a real novice like me to use it ,and it is outstanding to say the least ,what i have found with some of the brilliant folk who write these oustanding programes is that they are so clever and they seem to think because they understand fully the compleat make up of there software that everyone will grasp this and thats not so, and for the Amiga people just starting if we can just get on to the bottom run of the ladder we will hang on in there and enjoy every thing that Amiga can offer so your information above
is like a breath of fresh air for the likes of me ,simple straight to the point i knew exactly where i was going and what to do when i got there ,with your instructions and a few tips from other kind people a monkey could have insalled the Roadshow ,no offence intended towards the monkey lol very best wishes my friend i am off to use the Roadshow now and at the weekend i will copy some of this excellent information on to the Amiga org forum Brian.