« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Post by cevoner »

Having trouble with the Roadshow connecting on my 1200.
Using same settings with Genesis that connects no problem.
Genesis has no destination IP. (ghosted)

For Roadshow it makes an IP for the Prism2device
and seems happy until it uses route which
replies: Networlk is unreachable.

I use Wirelessmanager on startup which sends
my passsword which Genesis acknowledges.
Also Miamidx does not connect to Gateway either.

I use Cardreset and Cardpatch in startup too.
Like to buy roadshow but demo will nort work.
I have a Blizzard 1260 with 192MB ram and made all
timing fixes to the motherboarboard 1D.4.
Thanks.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:Having trouble with the Roadshow connecting on my 1200.
Using same settings with Genesis that connects no problem.
Genesis has no destination IP. (ghosted)

For Roadshow it makes an IP for the Prism2device
and seems happy until it uses route which
replies: Networlk is unreachable.

I use Wirelessmanager on startup which sends
my passsword which Genesis acknowledges.
Also Miamidx does not connect to Gateway either.

I use Cardreset and Cardpatch in startup too.
Like to buy roadshow but demo will nort work.
I have a Blizzard 1260 with 192MB ram and made all
timing fixes to the motherboarboard 1D.4.
Thanks.
I wish I had some advice to offer, but I never used the WiFi hardware you mentioned.

You definitely need to connect to your wireless access point before you can access the network, and I assume that this is what Wirelessmanager is supposed to be doing.

How can you tell if Wirelessmanager was successful? As far as I know, your computer first needs to be able to join the wireless network by authenticating itself to your wireless access point. Once it has joined the network, your computer either needs to obtain a network address, select a DNS server and a default gateway address (also known as "default route"), or all this information has to be configured manually. Something is missing here. Without a default route any traffic originating from your computer cannot leave the local network.

How does the "network is unreachable" message come about? Please note that Roadshow is not compatible with the "route" command that is part of AmiTCP. The reason being that the TCP/IP stack interface to the routing operations are completely different. Roadshow has its own shell commands "AddNetRoute" and "DeleteNetRoute" which allow for setting up the routing for your computer.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Network unreachable

Post by cevoner »

I believe Wiremnager is OK because Genesis connects.
The trouble is with the route command set to my router at
192.168.1.1. Seems not to connect there.
Its' set in Genesis which does connect.

I may not have mentioned I have an Oronco Gold PCMCIA card wireless in a 1200 with a Blizzard 060 accelerator with 196 MB ram. I tried addnetroute too with same result : Network unreachable. Does it support some special password requirement of the router? I'm using WPA instead of WEP.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Network unreachable

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:I believe Wiremnager is OK because Genesis connects.

I may not have mentioned I have an Oronco Gold PCMCIA card wireless in a 1200 with a Blizzard 060 accelerator with 196 MB ram. I tried addnetroute too with same result : Network unreachable. Does it support some special password requirement of the router? I'm using WPA instead of WEP.
Making your Amiga part of the network happens in two stages.

The first stage involves making your wireless network card known to the WiFi access point. This is the stage at which you need to provide a password, and the access point will need to verify that the password is good. If it's good, then the access point will allow for traffic to pass through your network card. Technically, this is like plugging an Ethernet card into a router: until it is connected, no traffic will pass between the Ethernet card and your network.

The next stage involves assigning your network card an IP address, and telling the TCP/IP stack where the traffic should go to. You won't be asked for a password at this stage. It is taken for granted that once your network card is connected to the network (even if that "connection" is wireless), then your computer should be allowed to exchange data through it.

I assume that you already took care of making the first stage work, and now it's the second stage that needs looking into. Which network interface configuration file are you using, and what's in it? The file should be in "DEVS:NetInterfaces", and would probably be called "Prism2". If you copied it from "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces" and did not modify it, then the following steps ought to produce some results (or error messages):

1) Check what's in the file "DEVS:Internet/routes"; make sure that each line in that file is either blank or starts with the character "#".

2) Provide your password, etc. to the WiFi access point using the Wirelessmanager, and make sure that the password is accepted. By this stage, "prism2.device" should become usable as a means to connect to an IP network.

3) Set up the "Prism2" network interface by entering the command "AddNetInterface Prism2" in the shell; you could double-click on the icon of that file, through Workbench, but if something doesn't work, then you probably won't see an error message (so, please use the shell). Provided your WiFi access point is also a router and supports DHCP auto-configuration for clients such as your Amiga, using the "AddNetInterface" command should automatically assign your Amiga an IP address, pick the right route to use, and figure out which DNS servers are usable. If that part is completed successfully, you're immediately good to go: no need to enter any further commands in the shell, you can go right ahead, fire up your web browser of choice and put it to use.

Please run through these steps and have a look at what happens. I suggest you do not experiment with the "AddNetRoute" command, or modify the "DEVS:NetInterfaces/Prism2" file, etc. until you have tested if the automatic configuration works.

Unlike AmiTCP Genesis, Roadshow supports fully automatic network client configuration through DHCP; there should be no need to manually configure the network interface IP address, set up a default route or configure the DNS servers to use. It's possible, but it tends to be error prone: you need to know exactly which configuration options to use.

I can talk you through the necessary steps to manually configure everything (well, there is some documentation available in the form of the manual that comes with Roadshow, which I hope could provide helpful hints), but I'd rather that you try the less complicated auto-configuration procedure first.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

olsen wrote:

The first stage involves making your wireless network card known to the WiFi access point. This is the stage at which you need to provide a password, and the access point will need to verify that the password is good. If it's good, then the access point will allow for traffic to pass through your network card. Technically, this is like plugging an Ethernet card into a router: until it is connected, no traffic will pass between the Ethernet card and your network.

The next stage involves assigning your network card an IP address, and telling the TCP/IP stack where the traffic should go to. You won't be asked for a password at this stage. It is taken for granted that once your network card is connected to the network (even if that "connection" is wireless), then your computer should be allowed to exchange data through it.

I assume that you already took care of making the first stage work, and now it's the second stage that needs looking into. Which network interface configuration file are you using, and what's in it? The file should be in "DEVS:NetInterfaces", and would probably be called "Prism2". If you copied it from "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces" and did not modify it, then the following steps ought to produce some results (or error messages):

1) Check what's in the file "DEVS:Internet/routes"; make sure that each line in that file is either blank or starts with the character "#".

2) Provide your password, etc. to the WiFi access point using the Wirelessmanager, and make sure that the password is accepted. By this stage, "prism2.device" should become usable as a means to connect to an IP network.

3) Set up the "Prism2" network interface by entering the command "AddNetInterface Prism2" in the shell; you could double-click on the icon of that file, through Workbench, but if something doesn't work, then you probably won't see an error message (so, please use the shell). Provided your WiFi access point is also a router and supports DHCP auto-configuration for clients such as your Amiga, using the "AddNetInterface" command should automatically assign your Amiga an IP address, pick the right route to use, and figure out which DNS servers are usable. If that part is completed successfully, you're immediately good to go: no need to enter any further commands in the shell, you can go right ahead, fire up your web browser of choice and put it to use.

Please run through these steps and have a look at what happens. I suggest you do not experiment with the "AddNetRoute" command, or modify the "DEVS:NetInterfaces/Prism2" file, etc. until you have tested if the automatic configuration works.

Unlike AmiTCP Genesis, Roadshow supports fully automatic network client configuration through DHCP; there should be no need to manually configure the network interface IP address, set up a default route or configure the DNS servers to use. It's possible, but it tends to be error prone: you need to know exactly which configuration options to use.

I can talk you through the necessary steps to manually configure everything (well, there is some documentation available in the form of the manual that comes with Roadshow, which I hope could provide helpful hints), but I'd rather that you try the less complicated auto-configuration procedure first.

Excellent advice. This interface has never been automatic but I will try your steps. Number 3 I have not done with the Addnetroute. I use the IP numbers instead of Prism2. I hope this may change my results. Genesis is definitely static. I'll write back results. Thanks for your info.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

I'm replying now usig Genesis.
I went to #3 and typed in "Addnetroute default Prism2" and got "Connection refused" this time. The Prism2 file in Netinterfaces was set to fastauto and then auto. My defaut gateway and netmask are set, device=devs:Prism2.device and debug=yes and thats all. Does wirelessmanager work differently with Roadshow. I run it verbose and it says connected.

olsen wrote:

olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:I'm replying now usig Genesis.
I went to #3 and typed in "Addnetroute default Prism2" and got "Connection refused" this time. The Prism2 file in Netinterfaces was set to fastauto and then auto. My defaut gateway and netmask are set, device=devs:Prism2.device and debug=yes and thats all. Does wirelessmanager work differently with Roadshow. I run it verbose and it says connected.
Aha, I now understand what the issue is. Please replace the "Prism2" interface configuration file in "DEVS:NetInterfaces" with the original, unmodified version you found in the "Roadshow" archive. If you cannot find the unmodified version, please replace the line which reads "configure=auto" with "configure=dhcp" and put a "#" character in front of all other lines that start with "configure".

The problem is that you changed the "configure" instruction in the configuration file. By default it should read as "configure=dhcp", which enables the automatic configuration option using the DHCP protocol. The DHCP protocol is what should get your Amiga networking card set up properly once you have used Wirelessmanager to connect to your WiFi access point.

If you use "configure=auto", or "configure=fastauto" then you tell Roadshow that your local network has no DNS server, no DHCP server, etc. and that you want Roadshow to pick an unused IP address from the 169.254.0.0/16 address range. This is useful in a very specific context, such as when building wireless ad-hoc networks, using client software which automatically discovers local network services, but in your case it is of no use at all.

The reason why you see the "no route to host" error message is because "configure=auto" set your network address to something in the 169.254.0.0/16 range, and that address has nothing in common with the 192.168.1.1/24 network which your router is using. Put another way, if you use "configure=auto" then your Amiga can only exchange data with other computers that use an 169.254.0.0/16 address, and that specifically excludes everything in the network which your router is using. Not good...

Long story short, please use the original, unmodified "Prism2" network interface configuration file, as I recommended, and try again.

If this should not work out either, I'll have a few more ideas on what could be done :-)
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Thanks, I'll try that.
Could be the answer. I'll check back later.
Your reply makes a lot of sense. I never understood the network lingo. It will be great to get faster connections.

olsen wrote:
Aha, I now understand what the issue is. Please replace the "Prism2" interface configuration file in "DEVS:NetInterfaces" with the original, unmodified version you found in the "Roadshow" archive. If you cannot find the unmodified version, please replace the line which reads "configure=auto" with "configure=dhcp" and put a "#" character in front of all other lines that start with "configure".

The problem is that you changed the "configure" instruction in the configuration file. By default it should read as "configure=dhcp", which enables the automatic configuration option using the DHCP protocol. The DHCP protocol is what should get your Amiga networking card set up properly once you have used Wirelessmanager to connect to your WiFi access point.

If you use "configure=auto", or "configure=fastauto" then you tell Roadshow that your local network has no DNS server, no DHCP server, etc. and that you want Roadshow to pick an unused IP address from the 169.254.0.0/16 address range. This is useful in a very specific context, such as when building wireless ad-hoc networks, using client software which automatically discovers local network services, but in your case it is of no use at all.

The reason why you see the "no route to host" error message is because "configure=auto" set your network address to something in the 169.254.0.0/16 range, and that address has nothing in common with the 192.168.1.1/24 network which your router is using. Put another way, if you use "configure=auto" then your Amiga can only exchange data with other computers that use an 169.254.0.0/16 address, and that specifically excludes everything in the network which your router is using. Not good...

Long story short, please use the original, unmodified "Prism2" network interface configuration file, as I recommended, and try again.

If this should not work out either, I'll have a few more ideas on what could be done :-)
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Hi,
configured as dhcp now.
Now I get cannot use unit 0 It is busy. What is it busy with? It says device is OK but busy. Tried unit 1 same result. The debug makes multiple tries and times out. Can't seem to connect. Used original Prism2 and edited a couple of times. What is filter?

cevoner wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.
Your reply makes a lot of sense. I never understood the network lingo. It will be great to get faster connections.

olsen wrote:

cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

cevoner wrote:Hi,
configured as dhcp now.
Now I get cannot use unit 0 It is busy. What is it busy with? It says device is OK but busy. Tried unit 1 same result. The debug makes multiple tries and times out. Can't seem to connect. Used original Prism2 and edited a couple of times. What is filter?
It also says "Input/output error" after quitting.

When I try the plain Prism2 file, It tries to connect but finally times out. The above busy error is when I put address and netmask in. What is your other ideas?

cevoner wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.

olsen wrote: Aha, I now understand what the issue is. Please replace the "Prism2" interface configuration file in "DEVS:NetInterfaces" with the original, unmodified version you found in the "Roadshow" archive. If you cannot find the unmodified version, please replace the line which reads "configure=auto" with "configure=dhcp" and put a "#" character in front of all other lines that start with "configure".