« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow says Network Unreachable.

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Network unreachable

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:
cevoner wrote:Hi,
configured as dhcp now.
Now I get cannot use unit 0 It is busy. What is it busy with? It says device is OK but busy. Tried unit 1 same result. The debug makes multiple tries and times out. Can't seem to connect. Used original Prism2 and edited a couple of times. What is filter?
It also says "Input/output error" after quitting.

When I try the plain Prism2 file, It tries to connect but finally times out. The above busy error is when I put address and netmask in. What is your other ideas?
First thing, now that you put in the address and the netmask, please remove the line that reads "configure=dhcp", since it is not helpful in this context. If you leave it in, Roadshow will still run the DHCP protocol, and tell the DHCP server that it wants to use the address you specified. The server may refuse to do that, complicating matters further. In your case, it appears that the DHCP protocol is not working.

The next thing is to move the "Prism2" configuration file from "DEVS:NetInterfaces" to "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces". The reason is this: you still have to use Wirelessmanager in order to make your WiFi card become part of the wireless network, and only after that has been done can you tell Roadshow to use it through the "AddNetInterface Prism2" command. If you leave the configuration file in "DEVS:NetInterfaces", then Roadshow will try to use the "Prism2" file when you reboot your Amiga, without Wirelessmanager having been run. This is pratically guaranteed not to work out well :-(

When you have moved the "Prism2" file, make sure you know which IP address your router uses. Let's say it is "192.168.1.1" (is that correct?). Edit the "DEVS:Internet/routes" file, so that the last line reads "default 192.168.1.1" and make sure that there is no other line in that file which begins with "default". Note that this assumes that your router will allow your Amiga to access the Internet through this address.

Finally, if you want to access web sites, etc. in the Internet, then you will need to set up DNS name resolution. It's usually the case that your home router will both convey data to/from the Internet as well as relay DNS name resolution services. Let's say your router can do that. Then you should edit the file "DEVS:Internet/name_resolution" and add the line "nameserver 192.168.1.1" to it (make sure that there is no other line in that file which starts with "nameserver").

Now reboot your Amiga. When ready, start Wirelessmanager to make your Amiga part of the wireless network, and once that is the case, start Roadshow with "AddNetInterface Prism2". By this point you should have a usable local network (if the address and netmask data is correct which you entered into the "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces/Prism2" file, and the router address is correct, too).

Try something: enter "ping 192.168.1.1" and watch if you can get your router to respond to it. If it works out, try something else by entering "ping www.google.com". This tests both the DNS name resolution (figuring out which IP address "www.google.com" responds to) and if the packets sent to it will reach the Google servers.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Thanks, I'll try your new instructions tonight.
I noticed with Genesis it connects with a DHCP command
but the connection sometimes gets lost and I have
to reconnect. Hope your new instructions work.
Thanks again.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Tried your suggestions, still no connect.
typed
"run wirelessmanager >nil: prism2.device"
seems to run fine.
Then
"addnetinterface prism2"
This returns
Interface "prism2" added
Trying interface "prism2" configuration...
then
addnetinterface: Interface "prism2" configuration attempt timed out.
It attempts and cannot connect.

Changed route to 192.168.1.1
and nameserver to same.
Took prism2 out of netinterfaces into storage. How do I set address and netmask then? I put them in networks.

Genesis with these settings connect. Miami dx has the same trouble. It says your ip address cannot be resolved. problem with DNS servers.

cevoner wrote:Thanks, I'll try your new instructions tonight.
I noticed with Genesis it connects with a DHCP command
but the connection sometimes gets lost and I have
to reconnect. Hope your new instructions work.
Thanks again.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:Tried your suggestions, still no connect.
typed
"run wirelessmanager >nil: prism2.device"
seems to run fine.
Then
"addnetinterface prism2"
This returns
Interface "prism2" added
Trying interface "prism2" configuration...
then
addnetinterface: Interface "prism2" configuration attempt timed out.
It attempts and cannot connect.

Changed route to 192.168.1.1
and nameserver to same.
Took prism2 out of netinterfaces into storage. How do I set address and netmask then? I put them in networks.

Genesis with these settings connect. Miami dx has the same trouble. It says your ip address cannot be resolved. problem with DNS servers.
Let's see... please make sure that there is no "Prism2" file in "DEVS:NetInterfaces", it should be only in "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces".

In the file "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces" there should be no line which begins with "configure=". Please remove all such lines or put a "#" character in front of each such line (e.g. "#configure="). Now you need to set the IP address and the network mask of the interface. In order to prepare the configuration file, remove all lines beginning with "address=" and "netmask=" from it, or put a "#" character in front of that line (e.g. "#address=", "#netmask=").

Make sure you know exactly which IP address should be used: it must be unique in your local network, and it must be a part of the same address range as your router. You mentioned that your router uses the IP address 192.168.1.1, which suggests that the network mask would be 255.255.255.0, and that your Amiga would need to use an IP address from the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254, inclusively. Pick a number which you know is not used by any other computer or electronic device in this network.

Let's say you could pick 192.168.1.39. Then you would add the following lines to the "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces/Prism2" file:

Code: Select all

address=192.168.1.39
netmask=255.255.255.0
You might want to use a different IP address, this is just for the sake of the example.

Restart your Amiga, then proceed as you did before: start Wirelessmanager, then enter the command "AddNetInterface Prism2". Since you picked a specific IP address to use, Roadshow will no longer attempt to figure out the address of the router or the DNS servers. Make sure you set up the DNS servers to use in "DEVS:Internet/name_resolution", and that "DEVS:Internet/routes" is configured correctly, too (see the older forum posts for examples).

If this works out, you can test the network operations again, using the "Ping" command, as described in the older forums posts.

There is one thing, though, which I don't know anything about: if you use "Run >NIL: wirelessmanager prism2.device" it means that the program will run in the background and print no error messages, warnings, etc. How do you know if Wirelessmanager actually succeeds in making your Amiga part of the local wireless network? If this doesn't work out, it explains why your previous attempts with Roadshow to use the Prism2 interface did not succeed. What happens if you open a second shell window and just enter "Wirelessmanager prism2.device", without the "Run >NIL:"?
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Thanks again.
I've tried some of those but not all.
The right combination seems to be the key and
I've run Wirelessmanger verbose too which
seems to be connected at least on bootup.
I'll keep after it. I have 2 boards and another
wired 3com interface too if all else fails.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

cevoner wrote:Thanks again.
I've tried some of those but not all.
The right combination seems to be the key and
I've run Wirelessmanger verbose too which
seems to be connected at least on bootup.
I'll keep after it. I have 2 boards and another
wired 3com interface too if all else fails.
Hi, the only real change I made was I took wirelessmanger out of user-startup and ran it from a shell after bootup. I have its' output in a file and addnetinterface's output so you can see whats' happing. Wirelessmanager must be working since I'm entering this online with Genesis. It seems strange when I entered it >file at the end to get the output but the 2nd time it just said connected. Both worked with Genesis. I also commented out "configure=" which was not done before. Its' in storage and 192.168.1.1 is in routes which gives the error.

Thank you for your continued diligence.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Working Thanks

Post by cevoner »

Hey, got it working. What I finally did was use configure=dhcp
and set the 2 nameservers in internet with prism2 in storage. That simple.
I must have had too many things going on before.

I first got it to work with my 3c589 PCMCIA which was wired and used those same settings. Internet and Routes were set that made it happen. DHCP takes longer to connect by wireless but it still connected.

I'll probably order this now as it will be updated I'm sure and maybe I can speed the connection some more from just these basic settings.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Working Thanks

Post by olsen »

cevoner wrote:Hey, got it working. What I finally did was use configure=dhcp
Good. I was getting really worried. Normally, the effort required to get your Amiga to become part of a network should be rather small with Roadshow. Now I know that setting up a wireless network connection requires more effort than an Ethernet connection does.

In due time I'll update the manual. It might also be helpful to enhance the network configuration file format: before setting up/after tearing down the network connection Roadshow could run a command specified in the configuration file. That way you could tell Roadshow to run the Wirelessmanager command before trying to reach the DHCP server.
I first got it to work with my 3c589 PCMCIA which was wired and used those same settings. Internet and Routes were set that made it happen. DHCP takes longer to connect by wireless but it still connected.

I'll probably order this now as it will be updated I'm sure and maybe I can speed the connection some more from just these basic settings.
I'll see what I can do. As I wrote above, there is a need for the interface configuration to do more than just set up the network hardware and talk to a DHCP server.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Re: Working Thanks

Post by cevoner »

olsen wrote:
cevoner wrote:Hey, got it working. What I finally did was use configure=dhcp
Good. I was getting really worried. Normally, the effort required to get your Amiga to become part of a network should be rather small with Roadshow. Now I know that setting up a wireless network connection requires more effort than an Ethernet connection does.

In due time I'll update the manual. It might also be helpful to enhance the network configuration file format: before setting up/after tearing down the network connection Roadshow could run a command specified in the configuration file. That way you could tell Roadshow to run the Wirelessmanager command before trying to reach the DHCP server.

Hi, yes bought the product and now just the 3c589 wired connects. The wireless connected a few times when I used the demo but was not as quick. Now it times out.

I have 2 amigas and substituted the 3c589 with same configs and connects, whereas the wireless Oronco card did not. Have my numbers right just not a sure thing with Oronco. Is there more than one Prism.device version around? It may be that. Genesis again has no problem. Is Roadrunner just erratic with wirelessmanager?

I'll see what I can do. As I wrote above, there is a need for the interface configuration to do more than just set up the network hardware and talk to a DHCP server.
cevoner
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by cevoner »

Got wireless now too. The dhcp was not reliable. Only with a wired connection. The wireless connected only a few times so I went back to static. Now it connects every time. It helps that I do not have to reboot every time now that I bought it. I made a minor change, used netshutdown and tried again.

The working combo happened by me logging into my router from my mac and checked all settings. I found 192.168.1.10 was a free wireless address and used that. Also added 127.1 as my amiga address. This was done in "hosts" which was not done before. Kept prism2 in storage and used name servers and routes as before. Hope this helps with your manual.

All is good now. Thanks and keep us informed of updates.
:glow: