« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Roadshow & Coffin R58

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

npagonis73
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Roadshow & Coffin R58

Post by npagonis73 »

Hi all

Got my V1200 about a week ago and all is great and shiny except one little thing!!

I use Roadshow via LAN on my V1200 and used the drop down coffin network menu to change stack to Roadshow and then configure it choosing LAN and then DHCP and then my interface which is CNET. Then i choose to connect on boot. When rebboting (cold or not it doesnt matter) then internet is not available. Actually it is somewhat half started. Running Roadie to see what is going on, it shows connected but not all attributes being sorted and configured. The only way to connect after that is click disconnect on Roadie and then once it has then click connect. Then it connects fine straight away. So what i ended up doing is disable connect on boot and just open Roadie after boot and connect from there. I have Roadshow running in 4 or 5 other distros including AmiKit and my hand made 3.1, 3.9 and 3.1.4 and in all of them connects on boot fine. Also I did follow coffin guide about using roadshow and I only copied my own bsdsocket.library from my 1.14 version.

Any help on why it doesn’t connect on boot would be greatly appreciated. I would love that feature in coffin so much.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow & Coffin R58

Post by olsen »

npagonis73 wrote: 26.01.2021 - 20:05 Hi all

Got my V1200 about a week ago and all is great and shiny except one little thing!!

I use Roadshow via LAN on my V1200 and used the drop down coffin network menu to change stack to Roadshow and then configure it choosing LAN and then DHCP and then my interface which is CNET. Then i choose to connect on boot. When rebboting (cold or not it doesnt matter) then internet is not available. Actually it is somewhat half started. Running Roadie to see what is going on, it shows connected but not all attributes being sorted and configured. The only way to connect after that is click disconnect on Roadie and then once it has then click connect. Then it connects fine straight away. So what i ended up doing is disable connect on boot and just open Roadie after boot and connect from there. I have Roadshow running in 4 or 5 other distros including AmiKit and my hand made 3.1, 3.9 and 3.1.4 and in all of them connects on boot fine. Also I did follow coffin guide about using roadshow and I only copied my own bsdsocket.library from my 1.14 version.

Any help on why it doesn’t connect on boot would be greatly appreciated. I would love that feature in coffin so much.
I suspect that the DHCP negotiation which assigns your computer an IPv4 address, as well as a default route and the DNS servers to use, may not work correctly.

There's a way to find out what is going on. First thing, make sure that the network is not started automatically when you reboot your computer. Your network configuration file for the cnet.device in DEVS:NetInterfaces is likely called "CNet" and looks something like this:
# $VER: CNet 1.2 (27.11.2010)
#
# Configuration for PCMCIA cards supported by the "cnet.device" driver
# on Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200 computers. For a list of supported
# PCMCIA cards, see "http://www.g-mb.de/cnet" (last checked: 2010-10-24).

# The device name is mandatory
device=cnet.device

# If not provided, unit number 0 will be used. You may
# have to change this if there are multiple cards of the
# same type installed in your machine, or if your network
# hardware supports several independent connections
#unit=0

# You must either pick a fixed (static) IPv4 address and
# a corresponding subnet mask, or request DHCP (dynamic)
# network address configuration.
# You can combine address/netmask/dhcp, which has the effect
# of asking the DHCP server to assign the requested IPv4
# address and subnet mask to this interface, if possible.
#address=192.168.0.1
#netmask=255.255.255.0
configure=dhcp

# If no DHCP server is present in your network, you can
# use automatic interface IPv4 address assignment through
# the ZeroConf protocol. Note that this will not set up
# default route and DNS servers for you, only the interface
# address is configured.
#configure=auto

# This variant of automatic IPv4 address assignment should
# be used in a wireless network instead of 'configure=auto'
#configure=fastauto

# You can enable diagnostic messages which can be helpful in
# tracking down configuration errors.
#debug=yes

Check the line which reads #debug=yes and change it to debug=yes, then save the file back to disk. Now restart your system and then start the CNet network device (and Roadshow along with it) by double-clicking on the CNet icon in DEVS:NetInterfaces. You should see the DHCP debug output in a window which opens. If the DHCP process does not conclude quickly or gets stuck, please post what the debug output said.
npagonis73
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Roadshow & Coffin R58

Post by npagonis73 »

Hi there and thanks a lot for the reply.

Since coffin caters for 2-3 different network solutions, its Network startup file it is not as simple as just the roadshow command to go online. Since when I was connecting with roadie, I had no problem and the problem was appearing when Coffin’s network startup was being executed, I then cleaned it and only left the addnetinterface command and saved it. After that when I enable to connect on boot, it connects perfectly fine.

Now that I read in yr reply about how to operate the debug option, I will revert to the old network startup file and reproduce the problem and see what it logs and let you know.

Thanks a lot anyhow for taking the time and try helping me.

Nikos